Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Crowdfunding a Baby

I graduated from film school and worked in production for a few years, so I know a thing or two about crowdfunding sites like Indiegogo and Kickstarter... But now I hear that more and more couples are turning to crowdfunding for their fertility treatments and adoption fees. I'm really not sure how I feel about that.

Yes, I know how costly infertility treatments can be when your insurance doesn't cover them. My first round of IUI with Clomid just set me back $375. If I do that six times (as some insurance companies require six rounds of IUI before they cover IVF), it would cost $2,250. And don't even get me started on the costs of IVF (which my current insurance does not cover)...

So, out of curiosity,  I looked at sites like GiveForward and KrowdKidz, but I was thoroughly disappointed by the donation numbers I saw (a lot of $0 raised or nowhere near being fully funded). However, AdoptTogether seemed much more successful. I'm trying to figure out why that is... Is it because couples don't want to share their fertility treatments via social media and expand their reach? Is it because people feel weird helping to pay for IVF treatments, but okay with helping them adopt? Is it because IVF is like a coin toss and you have a 50/50 chance of getting pregnant, which is kind of a risky investment? Anyone know?

Also, with the Mr. and I now deciding to go radio silent on the details of our fertility treatments, I don't think he would allow me to start a crowdfunding page for us and share it on Facebook.

Of course, right now, we're still pretty early in the process and don't need to do something like that, but who knows what the future holds?

No comments:

Post a Comment